Homework is something that every student dreads. Sometimes, it feels like homework eats into all your free time. But the truth is that homework is an important part of coursework that helps you learn concepts at your pace.
You can’t avoid it, but you can certainly make it more fun. All you need to do is plan your time well and understand how to focus on homework so that you can get it done quickly and have more time to enjoy other things, too.
This article gives you some easy solutions and tips to get your homework done fast. Whether you want to learn how to focus on school work or homework, you will find them really useful.
Why You Should Focus on Homework
Believe it or not, homework can actually help you get better grades and do well in school. If you can’t focus on homework, perhaps learning why you need to do homework is a good starting point.
There are some known benefits of doing homework every day:
- Homework is closely related to academic skills
There are studies which show that spending 2 hours every day on homework helps students do better in most subjects. This is because homework helps you work on each chapter and subject independently. You can take your time to understand different concepts and go over them as many times as you need.
- You develop important learning skills
Learning how to focus on schoolwork and homework lets you practice your learning skills. You learn how to read and process the subject matter better. And, do you know when this will come really handy? When you are trying to study for an exam or improve your grades. Homework is a way of practicing or revising what you learn in school. Instead of opening a book that seems completely new and strange to you before your exams, getting some homework done each day makes it easier for you to study. You also practice writing, diagrams, drawings, and other aspects of the subject that are very important to score better grades.
- You learn how to manage time well
Homework comes with deadlines. You also have other assignments like presentations or project work to finish along with it. So, it all comes down to managing your time well so that you can get your submissions in on time. This is a life skill that will help you in the future when you have to deal with even tighter deadlines throughout your career.
- You feel more confident when you are successful
Sometimes you have hard problems to solve or lengthy assignments to complete. This is when you really begin to wonder why can’t I focus on homework and get it done correctly. Then, when you put your mind to it and get the work done, you feel this sense of confidence that you will carry with you throughout. It is a good thing to go over difficult homework all by yourself and get through it successfully.
- It builds work ethic
Work ethic means getting things done to your best ability and delivering what is expected of you, on time. This is exactly what you need to do with homework. You don’t have a teacher guiding you through it. Sure, parents may help you and make sure you get your homework done on time. But it is you who has to put in the work. So, homework builds work ethic and even makes you very responsible.
- You understand what you need to focus on
Homework is the best way to assess your strengths and weaknesses in academics. You will find that some subjects are easier for you to focus on while others require more time and effort. This feedback that you give yourself when you are doing your homework is extremely important in getting better grades and completing your coursework successfully.
Why Can’t I Focus on Homework?
If homework is so important, then why is it that some students can’t focus on homework. Well, here are some reasons and if they are true for you, the tips mentioned below are just what you need:
- Too many distractions: With online streaming channels, mobile phones, games and so many other things to take your focus away, it is no wonder that you need to look for ways to focus on homework. But you are not alone. A popular study showed that close to 70% of the participants found it hard to focus on homework due to various reasons.
- Leaving things undone until the last minute: The closer you are to your deadline, the harder it is to focus. First, you have too many things to do in very little time. Second, you spend a lot of your mental energy feeling anxious about not being able to get it done.
- Getting overwhelmed with difficult homework: This is very natural. When we have a difficult task in front of us, we tend to either put it off for later or overthink it. Either way, you find it hard to focus on homework.
- No interest in a subject: All of us have some subjects that simply don’t interest us. Nevertheless, you have to get it done. It is harder to focus on subjects that you do not like but there are some ideas that you can try from the tips below to get them done easily.
- You don’t get enough physical activity: Did you know that your ability to focus is directly related to your physical well-being. When you are sedentary for a long time, you begin to experience, what experts call, ‘brain fog’. You are unable to think clearly and you find it hard to pay attention. You also feel tired or sleepy every time you get down to doing your work.
- You may be going through some personal issues: When you are stressed or upset, it affects your ability to do your homework. This is when you should look into your mental health or seek avenues to release your emotions in order to keep your mind focused on your homework or any other task.
How To Focus on Homework: Some Tried and Tested Methods
There are some methods that are suggested by experts to help students cope with their homework. It doesn’t matter if you need help with school or university level homework, these tips are sure to help:
- The Time Blocking Technique
Often used in the corporate setup, this technique can also help you when you can’t concentrate on homework. So, what is time blocking? It means that you dedicate a certain time frame to each task. Let us say, you have to write an essay and need to do a book report. So, you can dedicate 20 minutes to read the book and 1 hour to work on your essay throughout the day. Alternating between them, with some fun tasks in between like 10 minutes of playing a video game or practicing a hobby keeps you engaged and retains your interest in every task too.
- The 15 Minute Rule
If you are someone who is easily distracted, then this is a great technique to help when you need help to do my homework. This technique requires you to focus hard for just 15 minutes and get as much done as you can. Then, take a break for 5 minutes and continue. After you finish four such cycles, take a longer break of about half an hour to play, indulge in some physical activity, or even watch your favorite show.
- The Eisenhower Principle
If you are looking for advice on how to do your homework with more concentration, then this principle might help you. As we discussed in the earlier section, there are some tasks that are harder than the others. And, there are some tasks that do not interest you as much as others. The Eisenhower Principle states that you get the tasks that are the hardest to do out of the way. That way, you feel more relaxed and can move on to the easier assignments. Getting the boring or harder tasks done gives you the confidence you need to do the rest, too.
Other Things to Help You Focus on Homework
Still thinking of how to focus better and solve homework, and the methods above didn’t help? There are a few other things to help you focus on homework:
- Get rid of distractions: Whatever devices you do not need for your homework should be put away or turned off. You can access them every time you take a break. What helps you focus on homework is not getting constantly distracted by the alerts on your phone or the urge to scroll through social media for hours on end.
- Avoid procrastinating: This is easier said than done for most of us. We all love to put things off to the last minute and then power through. Ultimately, the quality of your work gets affected, thereby affecting your grades too. When you feel the urge to procrastinate, try the 2-minute rule. Get started on the task that you want to put off in under 2 minutes of feeling that urge to relax or do something else. This is the window when you can really spring into action without letting your mind take over. Or just count to 10 and jump into the task at hand.
- Always eat well: When you are loaded up on junk food rich in fat and sugar, it makes it harder for you to concentrate. These foods are quick to drain your energy because they just keep you full without providing any nutrition. And, your brain needs a lot of nutrients like Omega-3, vitamins, and minerals to work to its best ability.
- Make sure you get enough sleep: When you are sleep-deprived, you are definitely not going to be able to focus on your work. The most knowledgeable people like scholars and entrepreneurs will tell you how important it is to get enough rest so that you can power through your work, no matter how hard it is.
- Find a study buddy: Doing your homework alone may be boring. But if you have a friend to help you, you can get your work done fast. Set goals and have some reward for every task you complete. This makes it more fun to do, therefore keeping your focus intact.
Trying To Finish Your Homework?
If you need further homework assistance for any academic level for school, college to university, and are thinking “I really need someone to do my homework for me,”, get in touch with our writers today. You can get custom solutions based on the subject and nature of your homework. All our writers are ENL or English Native Language writers which means that you can expect great quality in terms of content and grammar.