The first thing educators point to when they assign students to a research project is the need to brainstorm several different sociology essay topics before embarking on that project. This is often recommended students should be sure they complete whichever sociology research topics they are considering, given the project’s requirements and limitations (e.g., deadlines). This list of free sociology papers topics can be used as they are presented here or they can be modified to fit your exact assignment needs. You can also check out our ethics research topics.
Research Topics for Sociology for a High School Course
Do you need a good research topic in sociology for a high school course? Most of the work you do in high school does not require extensive primary or secondary research. These ideas should be fine:
- What is heritage tourism and how does it affect the U.S.?
- What is the world’s most traveled to tourist location?
- Explain the correlation between race and class.
- Explain what is meant by the U.S. Salad Bowl.
- Explain how women are presented in the media.
- What impact does social media have on celebrity culture?
Interesting Sociology Topics for Graduate-Level Courses
Here are some sociology project topics that are ideal for a graduate class. As the course work gets tougher at this level, so do the types of things you need to research:
- How important are language choices in politics?
- How important is it for immigrants to completely assimilate?
- Explain the role of gender in Disney movies.
- What effects does divorce have on children?
- Explain how education is affected by social media in the U.S.?
- Why are there fewer male nurses than there are female nurses?
Controversial Sociology Research Topics
Writing about something controversial is a great way of capturing your audience’s attention. With any of these sociology research paper topics, you are sure to do just that:
- Explain the differences between patriotism and nationalism.
- What does it mean to be a Patriot in the U.S. today?
- Why are there fewer women in engineering than there are men?
- Should gender studies be added to high school curricula?
- How do gender roles in the family affect children?
- Explain how people become addicted to online gambling.
Sociology Research Topics for College Students
When you are just starting in this subject, you want to make sure you select a research project that will not overwhelm you. This sociology research topics list has many great ideas:
- Explain the pros and cons of same-gender classes.
- Describe the history of bullying and harassment in social media.
- Does social media separate or bring people together?
- Describe the impact that early marriage has on couples.
- Explain the importance of having financial security before marriage.
- Do companies in the Silicon Valley still influence work culture?
Sociology Survey Topics for a Long-Term Project
If you have all of a semester to work on a project, then these sociology topics for research ideas should be great to develop your ideas or to use as they are presented here:
- Explain how modern society needs to be educated about food.
- How are family traditions detrimental to healthy eating?
- Describe the detrimental effects that fast food has had on society.
- When is the right time to teach children about gender issues?
- Conduct a study on the effects that stereotypes have on people.
- What is the correlation between nationalism and social status?
- Why are more minority soldiers being killed in combat?
Research Topics on American Sociology
This list of sociology topics for research papers deals with issues in America. There are a lot of current topics on which you can find a lot of information:
- How do religious rituals affect the way youth behave?
- Explain how the nature of love can or cannot be measured.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of juvenile justice?
- Explain how candidates from different parties viewed in the media.
- How has celebrity culture changed American values?
- What does it mean to be an American in today’s world?
Interesting Sociology Research Topics for Any Situation
If you don’t have a specific subject you want to write about then these topics related to sociology, which deal with a variety of situations, should be good for you:
- Explain the impact that conversation has on family life.
- What impact does juvenile justice have on young people?
- Does South Park accurately capture sociological issues in the U.S.?
- What advantages do men have over women in the workplace?
- Describe the impact physical violence against women has had on society.
- Is it sexist for men to pay for meals when they go on dates?
LGBT Sociology Topics Being Discussed Today
Here are some good sociology topics for research papers on topics related to the LGBT community. Three are a lot of changes happening in this niche field:
- Explain the pros of cons of LGBT studies in high school.
- How do non-binary people find a place in society?
- Why have LGBT people been accepted into high-ranking religious positions?
- How are LGBT people depicted in American television shows?
- Describe how effective medical institutions treat LGBT people.
- What stigmas still exist about the LGBT community?
Sociology Topics for Presentation in Class
The following sociology topics to write about can be used for both a traditional research project or a shorter in-class presentation:
- Describe the impact that technological advances have on human health.
- Are certain states more prone to have lower-income communities?
- Are people more inclined to spend more on technology than health?
- What are the biggest influences for where people move to the U.S.?
- How do professional sports impact social gatherings in the U.S.?
- What are the major differences between U.S. and European sports fans?
Sociology Research Proposal Topics for a Thesis
If you’re writing a proposal for a thesis, these research topics for sociology students should fit most assignment requirements no matter where your interests lay:
- What is the significance of dialogue in the workplace?
- What are the major underlying causes of cyberbullying in the U.S.?
- What are the correlations between revolution and counterrevolution?
- Describe the effects of animal therapy in patients.
- Explain how society views cancer patients in recovery.
- How do people view patients with AIDs or HIV today?
- Explain the clichés of romance in today’s world.
Topic in Sociology that Deals with Current Issues
These good sociology topics all deal with issues currently in the news. If you want to stay in the forefront with your project, this list is a great place to start:
- Explain the difference between race and ethnicity in the U.S.
- Why are major cities in the U.S. showing signs of racial segregation?
- Describe the impact that federal stimulus checks have on race relations.
- Are youth more likely to show deviant behavior in low-income communities?
- Explain how gender inequality in the workplace affected women.
- Describe the impact that extreme sports have had on youth.
List Thesis Topics Sociology for a Ph.D
If you are about to complete your Ph. D then you need to select a sociology study topic that will meet your department’s requirements without demanding too much from you:
- Explain the rise of cults in the last twenty years.
- What impact has online dating had on long-term relationships?
- Describe how online dating has affected marriage.
- What are the major principles of conflict theory?
- Explain how religious beliefs affect values in families.
- How does race play a role in college admissions?
Sociology Topics to Write About When You Have Little Time
If you are running out of time, you should consider these topics in sociology. Most of these project ideas can be completed in as little as one week:
- Explain the history of the animal rights movement in the U.S.
- What impact have subcultures had on America’s youth?
- How has the Black Lives Matter Movement affected local politics?
- How do young people become addicted to tobacco or alcohol?
- Explain why non-violent crimes by youth have increased.
- Are youth being portrayed accurately in American television?
Good Sociology Research Topics for an Introductory Course
Here is a collection of essay topics about sociology ideal for an intro-level freshman or sophomore course. This will help you decide if this discipline is right for you:
- How are food choices different in poor and rich areas?
- What impact does living in poor areas have on youth?
- What is the correlation between media and anorexia?
- Is sex education an effective way of reducing teenage pregnancy?
- How has virtual communication affected U.S. culture?
- Describe the positive and negative impact of online communication.
- Are people becoming too dependent on social media?
Easy Sociology Research Topics When You Need a Break
We completely understand that sociology projects topics can be overwhelming from time to time. These sociology paper topics were chosen for students that require a break from all of the rigors of academic study:
- How do students react when homework is cut back?
- Does binge-watching a television show help time-management?
- Should students take financial budgeting courses?
- Explain why high school students join social groups.
- How are women portrayed in sitcoms in the U.S.?
- What impact does racial profiling have in lowering crime?
- What social trends encourage segregation?
Mental Health and Sociology Research Topics
Need a sociology research paper topic that focuses on mental health issues? This set of ideas were taken from the latest discussions taking place in this specialized academic area:
- Describe how social support helps mental health patients.
- Explain emotional well-being and the impact of marriage.
- Explain how stress affects mental health in adults.
- What are the origins and evolution of stress factors?
- What mental illness stigmas exist in our society?
- How has society affected the treatment of mental illnesses?
What did you think of our researchable topics in sociology? We’d like to hear your feedback and encourage you to submit your questions to us. Our customer service team is standing by 24/7 to provide you with resources and original sociology paper topic lists custom written by our academic writers to fit any type of assignment requirements. Just let us know what you need and we’ll get started right away.