Writing a research statement can be a daunting task, especially if you have never done it before. However, you will learn that you can make your life a lot easier simply by reading a few tips and tricks. In this blog posts, we will discuss everything about the research statement and will even give you a short guide to follow. It will greatly speed up the process or writing the research interests statement.
However, we want to make it clear from the beginning that writing this paper will take some time. It will also require you to figure out exactly what you want to achieve in your academic career. You can’t write this statement until you know exactly what you want to do and have a fairly good idea about how to get there.
What Is the Thesis Statement for Research Paper?
But let’s start with the beginning. What is a research statement? Also called a statement of research interest, this is a one to three page document that is often required by schools when you apply for an academic job. In some cases, you may be asked to write such a paper when applying to graduate school. Yes, you may have to write this paper as a student.
The research statement has one sole purpose: to show the selection committee your research trajectory and your plans for future research. You must show that you are able to handle doing research independently and that you have the ability to obtain grant money. Moreover, the statement of research interests must describe both your short term and long term research objectives in great detail.
In some cases, you can include a problem statement. Don’t know what is a problem statement in research? Basically, it is an important issue that needs to be addressed. Of course, you will need to present the problem and then cover the methods you will use to research the topic. However, the problem statement is usually required just when applying to graduate school. As such, you don’t need to learn how to write problem statement in research right now.
Typical Research Statement Format
Before you learn how to write a research statement, you should learn the typical format of such a paper. The purpose statement research is usually two or three pages long and is written in single-spaced font. There are no set rules for writing this document, but the preferred structure is as follows:
- An introduction. Of course, you need to introduce yourself and your research topic.
- A summary of thesis. This part will provide more information about the research project you wish to undertake.
- Contribution to the field and other publications. Why is your research project important? In your research purpose statement, you must also analyze other publications and show the evaluation committee why your research is necessary and why it is of utmost importance.
- Second project. If you have a second research project in mind, describe it in this section.
- The impact of your research plans. This is where you need to convince the evaluation committee that your work deserves their attention. What is the projected impact of your research on your field? Why are your potential findings significant?
Getting an Excellent Example of Research Statement
Because the research statement is just two or three pages long, you don’t have a lot of room. You can’t go into much detail and still develop all five sections listed above. Your writing needs to be very condensed and concise. You will edit your work until the document contains only relevant information. Also, if you want to learn how to write research statement quickly, your best option would be to read at least one awesome research statement sample. You can find examples in several places, fortunately:
- You can find some examples on the Internet. However, many of them are poorly written and don’t provide you with much value.
- Some universities provide some examples on their websites. Try to search for an example of research statement from Harvard University or Duke University on Google.
- If you are interested in a research problem statement, you can ask one of your professors (or former professors) for an example. In most cases, they will be able to help you out. Also, you can ask professional writing services.
However, the best way to get an exceptional example is to work closely with an academic writer. Let’s face it; these professionals write theses and dissertations all the time for their clients. It’s impossible for them to not be able to write a simple (simple for them, of course) research statement. You can even get an original problem statement in research in just a couple hours. And remember, the research statement samples you get from a writing company are written just for you. You will have to provide extensive information about your past research projects and about your future research plans.
Learn How to Write a Research Statement Quickly
If you wish to learn how to write a statement of research quickly, we asked our writers to put together a quick guide. It is a basic guide, of course. After all, writing such a document requires extensive experience and a lot of practice. Here are the basic steps you need to follow to write the statement:
- You will use the five paragraph structure and will basically write a persuasive essay. As such, you will start with the first paragraph: the introduction. Introduce the research topic and then insert the thesis sentence. Clearly state the point you want to prove with your research.
- Write three of more body paragraphs. Each one of these will support your position and each one will discuss one single argument. You can write the summary of thesis, the contribution to the field, and the future research paragraphs, for example. Remember that each paragraph needs to have a topic sentence and needs to support said topic sentence.
- The final paragraph of your statement of research is the conclusion or synopsis. Restate the thesis (why is your research important?) and then summarize the main points you’ve covered in the body paragraphs. Conclude everything with a powerful sentence. Think about the main benefit of your future research project and state it loud and clear.
Writing the Statement of Research: Closing Notes
Writing a thesis statement for research paper can be difficult, but you can master it through practice. Again, we cannot stress the importance of a good research statement example enough. It is the easiest way to understand exactly how your statement should look like after you’re done writing it.
Also, remember that your entire statement should be tied together. Don’t jump from one idea to another without using transition sentences. You need to show progression in your writing. This also serves to show the evaluation committee that you are able to write concisely in a logical manner.
Don’t be afraid to point out some examples that show your research success. Briefly talk about some of your past research projects that brought important contributions to the scientific community.
Finally, be confident in your research abilities and in your experience. You need to sell yourself in your research statement and do it without stress. Why should the evaluation committee pick your research project? Make sure they know exactly why!